Wednesday, November 14, 2007

We Do Know

In response to a comment by IBBUTTERFLI4LIFE, "DO WE REALLY KNOW ANYTHING?The answer is simple. No, we do not. We know absolutely nothing about anything," I want to make a separate post.

We must be careful that discussions of problems of knowledge do not lead to the conclusion that nothing can be known or that there is no truth. Here a bit of specificity is important. We must talk about degrees of certainty, rather than some binary state of knowing or not knowing. I am completely comfortable saying, and believe I am truthfully saying, that I know my car is in the parking lot, I know 2+2=4, and I know I love my children. Yet I know all these things with different degrees of certainty relative to the ways of knowing I have used. Would I stake the life of my children on my knowledge that my car is in the parking lot? Absolutely not. I am aware of the problems of knowledge that experience, which is the method I use to know that my car is there, can produce. Just because it was there yesterday, and every day that I have taught at NC, does not mean it will be there this afternoon. I am reasonably certain it is...certain enough to say confidently "My car is the parking lot," certain enough not to feel anxiety as I leave the building this afternoon, but not certain enough to risk the lives of my children on this knowledge.

No comments: