Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Transition to More Abstract Learning

In response to Mr. Perkins' question, I believe the transition should be made around 6th or 7th grade. During those grades, students begin to take algebra, along with other classes with abstract concepts, and really grasp that negative numbers and even imaginary numbers exist. So in history, students are possibly ready to understand that a country is not all bad or all good. I don't know if my explanation makes much sense but that's when I think the transition should be made.

1 comment:

Magister P said...

What I love about your approach to this question is how you bring in another subject...math. You are correct that this is when we typically present students with the more abstract reasoning of algebra. If this seems appropriate in math, it seems that it would be appropriate in other areas. Great reasoning!