Wednesday, October 15, 2008

No "obligation"

I agree with Mr. Perkins; I LOVE THIS TOPIC! I completely disagree with Erik. I think that we have absolutely no duty to help those in poverty. Those in poverty have no right to demand our help or even expect it. The thing that bugs me about the debate over how to solve poverty is that those who might agree with me are accused of being "un-American" or "arrogant" or "un-feeling" or "ignorant" or "selfish." I help people and give money to organizations I trust that help people in poverty because I WANT TO. It makes me feel good to help people that have not been blessed as much as I have. I am extremely grateful for the opportunities I have had because of the hard work of my parents AND because of my own efforts. All of us want to end poverty; ALL OF US want to help those in need. The debate is over HOW.
To respond to Erik's position over our "obligation" to help others:

From Ayn Rand's "The Virtue of Selfishness":

"One's SOLE obligation towards others, in this respect, is to maintain a social system that leaves men free to achieve, to gain and to keep their values."

"In the normal conditions of existence, man has to chose his goals, project them in time, pursue them and achieve them by his own effort. He cannot do it if his goals are at the mercy of and must be sacrificed to any misfortune happening to others. He cannot live his life by the guidance of rules applicable only to conditions under which human survival is impossible."

"It is medically possible to take the corneas of a man's eyes immediately after his death and transplant them to the eyes of a living man who is blind, thus restoring his sight (in certain types of blindness). Now, according to collectivized ethics, this poses a social problem. Should we wait until a man's death to cut out his eyes, when other men need them? Should we regard everybody's eyes as public property and devise a 'fair method of distribution'? Would you advocate cutting out a living man's eye and giving it to a blind man, so as to 'equalize' them? No? Then don't struggle any further with questions about 'public projects' in a free society. You know the answer. The principle is the same."

No comments: