Monday, December 1, 2008

1 life + 1 computer + 10 minutes = -100 lives

To be honest none of the information in these articles surprised me. I've seen similar facts and figures year after year but the numbers merely build. Even though I know I've seen it all before, I'm still shocked by what the articles have to say. I don't think it's the numbers and figures are what makes my jaw drop: it's because of the lack of help being done to prevent the rise in these figures. The articles focus on world hunger and especially, child hunger. What I don't understand is that so much focus has been put on world hunger that less attention is being put on our own country's problems with hunger. It may sound selfish but it's true. We need to learn how to balance between help in other countries and our own. In the U.S. Declaration of Independence, it promotes the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Isn't a part of life, food and water? If we don't eat or drink we die. It's as simple as that. We should have more than enough resources for everyone to have what they need; and we do. The problem is people are consuming what they want, exceeding what they need. In the first article (Blake), it said "everytime an American bites down on a steak or hamburger, they're contributing to global hunger." This is because this burger (probably soaked in grease, topped with too much bacon, and more than one stacked patty) is excess at its finest. You always hear the expression "Less is more," it's because less is enough. Less is the minimum and I don't mean minimum like minimum wage. I mean the minimum that you can survive well; you are fit, happy, and healthy.

The one aspect that also moved me emotionally about the articles was the mothers having to choose which child lives. They don't know the future of their child: what they will amount to, what they will acheive. However, the mothers have the power to end this one life by denying their child a basic right to life. It doesn't make sense that many individuals today are pro-life when it comes to abortion yet when it comes to hunger they fall short. During the election I heard so many campaigns about being pro-life or pro-choice but I didn't hear a mention of tackling hunger [national or world-wide]. I just don't understand how this inconsistency in support can be tolerated when I can't even begin to think about how many children have died in the time that I have typed this entry on the blog.

No comments: