Thursday, February 18, 2010

Women in the Military

Is there a "better" viewpoint between males and females as far as female membership in the U.S. military? This is something we discussed in class today and I know a few of us still had comments on the question, and I thought maybe Tuesday's class may like to get in on it.
In answer, I think not, and I may repeat some things people already stated in class as my own opinion as well.
I speak from the point of view of a female planning on attending a military college and thus serving in the military for at least five years after college. First of all, the way I have seen it as I look into the college I want to go to, they want more women and it is easier to get in as a female. (Of course, this is heavily due to a much larger competition among male candidates than female candidates.) However, females still are not allowed to serve on the front line, i.e. engage in actual combat. They go through training very similar to that of men, but cannot hold all of the same positions.
There is obviously still some stereotyping that women are too weak emotionally and/or physically to perform well in a battle situation. A friend of mine who is a male applying to Westpoint actually told me when I asked him why women are not allowed in combat, "Well, think about it. If I am on the front line and there is a man about to shoot me, do you think I want a woman for protection? No, she wouldn't have the guts to shoot him". Though not an extreme feminist myself, I was more than a little offended at the statement. I don't mean to group all men into one category, but the tendency seems to be that they still have a mentality that women are too weak for the military. Though hazing is illegal, women are still constantly harassed at several military colleges and some of these academies have only actually admitted women for the last few years. Can a man really see through the eys of a woman, though? Can he determine for sure that a woman would not be able to shoot under pressure?
On the other hand, females don't seem to have enough unity on the matter to come to any conclusion at all. There are some that say, "No, we don't belong in the military at all; I'm glad I don't have to fight", others who believe "I don't really want to join but we are equal to men and should have the right!" and yet others who really want to join and fight. The main conflict is between hating the stereotyping involved but being content not to be a part of drafting. In the end, we cannot reach a sound conclusion.
Females are just now really gaining ground in nearing gender equality to men. Though it is not perfect and stereotypes remain prominent, we have more opportunity and voice than ever before. The last U.S. military draft was for the Vietnam war and only lasted through the early-mid 1970s, long before the opportunity females have now took hold. Under current law, all male U.S. citizens are required to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. This becomes a military draft if the government deems that we need it for war, and these men are called to service. However, now that women play a much more integral role in the U.S. military than before, do you think that if the U.S. were to go to large-scale war that it would draft certain females as well? Do you think it should?

2 comments:

casefarr said...

While I don't want to be in the military, and I don't want to fight in any sort of war, I am a devoted feminist, and as such I believe that if women want equality with men (which we should want, by the way) we have to accept all the responsibilities that come with it. No one is a fan of the draft, but it is a responsibility Americans owe their country. By not allowing women this responsibility, the government is sending the message that female recruits are second-rate soldiers, thereby continuing the stereotype. The US should draft women. This would be a catalyst towards the acceptance of women as valuable members of our military.

stephaniee said...

I am also a feminist and agree with Casey. I believe that women should be allowed on the front line. Mentally men and women are equal. I was out raged to read what you quoted some guy saying: this is a clear example of male chauvinism. It is archaic. The stereotype that women don't have guts is part of the sexist mind frame. Plenty of guys may not be able to pull the trigger as well. The only reason a female may not be able to pull the trigger is A) she is not brave enough (same as a male) or B) she has been brought up to shy away from this kind of thing. This all comes from our culture which demands that men should be strong, brave, etc...I believe that women should also be included in the draft as we are all Americans and therefore we should all protect our country. I do know that Israel requires all of its citizens to be in the army including women; Israel is doing fine. It is out of pure ignorance that any male would assume he is better than a female because she is physically weaker; because of one little y-chromosome.