Monday, January 21, 2008

I've noticed that in class we've been interchanging religion with morality.  In my opinion, the two are separate, but there is indeed a fine line between the two.  People have religious morals, AND they have a MORAL CODE.  Most people let their religious morals influence their own personal moral code.  I know abortion is a topic talked to death, but I'll use it again.  Being Catholic, I believe that abortion is wrong because of my religious belief that life begins at conception. fine. But my moral code is different-I respect people enough to make their own decisions out of the own free will, and I respect others' religious beliefs that disagree with mine.  I believe in true liberty, so along with being pro-life (personally against abortion), I'm also pro-choice.  I still agree with my religion and possess the religious moral it teaches.  The example used in class about different burial practices was not an issue concerning a moral code.  Isn't that just a common religious/cultural belief?  Burying a dead person might be a really important matter, but I don't think it's an issue of "morality" as I see it.

No comments: