Friday, January 18, 2008

Religious Disclaimers

I have noticed a curious phenomenon not only in our TOK class, but in past TOK classes as well. When people talk about their own religious affiliations, they quite often preface their statements by saying that they do not necessarily believe everything their religion teaches.

Why is that?

I have never heard students talk about the sports they play by first stating, "I do not agree with everything the coach tells me." Not once have I heard discussion of an extracurricular club or the party last weekend begin with, "I do not agree with everything the others say or do." Undoubtedly there are athletes who do not subscribe to all their coaches tell them, and I am sure not everyone in Latin Club agrees on all issues. I certainly hope that not everyone who attends a weekend party is not in agreement about what goes on. Yet no one prefaces his or her comments about any other aspect of life with a disclaimer.

So why do students seem compelled to do so when it comes to issues of their faith?

1 comment:

AP1691 said...

Religion seems to have such a long and broad history that I don't think it's possible for a single person to TRULY believe and act accordingly to everything a religion says; for this reason I believe people (especially young students) like to give a disclaimer before they make a comment about their religion to make sure that someone else doesn't completely bash them and try to unvalidate their point with something from their religion that they might not completely agree upon... pretty much it's used to protect your behind