Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pop Altruism

I hesitate to make this connection, but it's just too fitting. Has anyone seen the episode of Friends where Phoebe is determined to find a selfless good deed? Joey says there is no such thing as a selfless good deed, because anytime someone does a good deed, they feel good, so in a way the deed is selfish. Phoebe refuses to believe it, so she sets out to find a selfless good deed. First she rakes a neighbor's leaves, but he catches her and gives her cider and cookies (or somesuch). Then she lets a bee sting her (so he can look tough for his bee friends), but then she finds out he probably died after stinging her. Finally, she thinks she finds one: she donates money to PBS, to help children. She hates PBS and feels terrible about giving them money. But she is helping, so she finally does a selfless good deed. (Unfortunately, her pledge helps Joey appear on television, so in the end she does feel good!) I just thought this was a funny example of the altruism dilemma. As for my take on it, I think there is such thing as true altruism ("selfless good deeds"). I think it's rare, and honorable, but I also agree with those who have already said that it's ok to get some satisfaction out of doing good things for others. Either way, someone else benefits, so one's own feelings shouldn't really matter.

1 comment:

Magister P said...

I think this is a great example that you cite. There is a series of philosophy books out right now that deal with philosophical issues and various television shows and movies.

It does seem, as even Dr. Pescovitz said, that we value more highly those acts that are done without the motive of personal gain. Despite that I may feel good if I do X, if personal gain is not my motive, then it seems I have done a better thing than the person who does X for personal enrichment.