Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Know I Believe I Think?

Going back to a topic we have touched upon in some of our previous classes, I believe that "I believe that..." (irony besides) is a strong statement in that it is simply difficult to refute. When someone prefaces a statement of knowledge with "I know...", it is often subject to immediate criticism and debate. For instance, the statement "I know abortion is wrong" would most probably generate more controversy than the statement "I believe that abortion is wrong." The first generates controversy because it seems to impose upon other people's personal beliefs. For instance if a pro-life advocate and a pro-choice advocate are having a conversation, the statement "I know abortion is wrong" implies, "I know that your belief is wrong." Whereas "I know" is an aggressive proclamation of knowledge, "I believe" is more emotionally based. Think about the things that we typically preface with "I believe": religion, abortion, politics, emotions, and cultural and ethical issues. Most would agree that there is no universal "truth" on many of these issues. Instead, truth and knowledge is based on an internal evaluation of the issue (similar to the article on introspection that we read a few days ago). Using "I believe" in conjunction with these issues indicates that the speaker has introspectively found personal knowledge -- however, "I believe" also implies that this knowledge is indeed personal and is not universal. When one says, "I believe in God", it does not imply that this is the only truth. While it may be the "truth" to that person, that statement also seems to acknowledge other beliefs at the same time. You can say that you "believe" something and also acknowledge other people's beliefs. Therefore, it seems as if "belief" is often used to describe issues that rely on emotion and faith as ways of knowing. Emotion and faith are difficult to refute because they are unique to the individual, and it is difficult to say that a particular emotion or faith is "wrong." When one claims to "know" something, it also implies that this knowledge is universal and supported by irrefutable reasoning.

Thus, "I Believe" derives it's strength because it is difficult to challenge a personal belief. On the other hand, "I know" derives it's strength because it seems to indicate the "knowledge" of a universal truth that can be explained through irrefutable evidence and reasoning. "I Belief" has the power of pathos while "I know" is an appeal of logos.

1 comment:

Magister P said...

Ryan, this is one of the best discussions of any topic we have had. You offer your view, defend it, consider others, and come back with why you are stating what you are. Excellent!