Tuesday, February 19, 2008

What Do I Want To Know About You?

Based on our discussion today of the video, I ask you the following. What kinds of things do humans want to know about each other? When it comes to a computer, there is a fairly limited range. I want to know how fast it runs, how much memory it holds, what kinds of software it can handle.

My ways of knowing these things also fall into a short range. I measure speed in computations per second. I measure memory in bits and bytes. Certain hardware and software features, such as video card or MS Windows, permit certain types of other software.

How do I know the things I want to know about humans? Presumably I can use similar ways of knowing to discover similar kinds of facts. I measure the speed of a computer in computations per second and the speed of a person in yards per second or kilometers per hour. But how do I approach knowing the kinds of things about humans that cannot be known or are irrelevant to knowledge about computers? Or are there any such things?

No comments: