Thursday, November 20, 2008

The first article had the strongest effect on me. I prefer to look at the problem of hunger and poverty using my emotions and not just focusing on the numbers involved-- how many people, how much money-- I think when people just focus on that it creates a disconnect between the people suffering and ourselves. Even though the second article was focused on poverty in the United States I felt the most disconnected with that information, because there were too many numbers too many statistics, and  by the end those numbers could have been anything their significance got lost in the lists of all the statistics. I liked the first article because it included a real example. A choice that although I am not even close to being able to truly understand I can imagine to the best of my ability and it makes me feel bad for the people starving and the children dying. Also, I agree most with the method of aid the first article suggests. Teaching the people of Haiti to make their own food is the best solution in the long run, but I don't think the United States can really use the same approach to deal with the US hunger mentioned in the second article. In Haiti most people have land they can grow food on or they have agricultural communities but in the United States the people starving in the middle of cities, where are they supposed to plant their crops?I think the third article did a good job of putting the whole situation into perspective and illustrating how the aid funds aren't being used correctly. But, I'm not all that shocked by the amount of the money spent, because I feel like the United States is constantly throwing large sums of money around on things like war that I feel could be better used to help those suffering in our country. I think the difference in this case is that money was supposed to be used to help people and spain claimed that building this mural was helping people. I don't really know how I feel about this in this moment if I was one of those tax payers I would be upset, but I can imagine that 50 years from now when the economy is better the people of Spain might be proud of their mural in the UN building. All three of these articles do a good job for the most part of illustrating the problems with hunger and the problems faced in combating hunger, yet sadly none of it was stuff I didn't already know or haven't heard before. Hunger might be getting worse but it has been present forever and we've failed to fix it so I don't think unless there are some drastic changes in strategy that we'll be able to help combat hunger and starvation today.

No comments: