Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hunger.......Its Real and What We Need to Be Doing to End It

After I read the article that stated that "mothers in Haiti wait to name their newborns because so many die of malnourishment" I was like WOW, hunger is truly a terrible thing. When I wake up in the morning I usually try to eat breakfast. There are some mornings that I wake up for school late and then end up being in a rush and miss breakfast. I would go to school and as I sit there in Russell's class I would moan with hunger. Thinking back was I really hungry? Compared to these children and families in these impoverish conditions my hunger can't even be called hunger but rather meaningless complaints. These people go for days without the level of nourishment needed. They struggle on basic human needs, such as food and water. It is terrible what these people go through day by day, suffering the pain and struggle that is hunger. I find that the only solution is by education, not on math or science, but on food. We should teach these impoverish and hungry children and adults how to grow food properly,how to gather and obtain food, and the proper way to store the food for later consumption. We should also go about teaching these hungry individuals who are impoverish the art of properly financing themselves and their family, and just maybe, we can make them self sufficient and even hunger itself would not be an issue for them and their family.

No comments: