Thursday, November 20, 2008

I always knew that hunger posts a big problem to the world. However, I was still surprised by the first two articles. "A child dies of hunger every six seconds, and hunger now kills more people every year than AIDS, malaria and tubercuosis combied." Everywhere, we hear about AIDS or other diseases. Although we all acknowledge the existence of hunger, at least to me, the problem of hunger becomes so obvious that it didn't seem as important as diseases such as AIDS. At first I thought, it is because I'm in America, where hunger is not as big a problem as in other countries. But after I read the second artical, I realized that, hunger is a big problem even to the U.S. I think the U.S. government has tried to help everyone in need with things like the foodstamp etc. However, is everyone taking advantages of the U.S. government? I have heard that, many N.C. students, who are in need, didn't even take advantage of our free/reduced lunch program.
Also, I didn't think even after I read the articles that the problem of hunger is food. Instead, I agree with Patel in the first artical that "the problem is not food, but how we distrubute it". U.N. Human Rights Council are spending $14 million on a stupid ceiling! Including the money ($1 million) that was suppose to be used in African aid. The problem is not that we do not have money, but we did not use the money well enough to help everyone in need. Also, it is ironic to me that the Human Rights Council are the ones behind this project. It is everyone's basic right (or even the most basic and important right) to be provided with food, like stated in the first article. If the Human Rights Council do not provide everyone with their basic rights, and instead, spending millions of dollars on an art project instead of food, then what the point of a Human Rights Council?

No comments: