Thursday, November 20, 2008

We can't change it

This may make me a horrible person, but I wasn't moved by any of these articles. They're sad, but I was already aware of the dayly struggle for families to provide nurishment for their children. I have a hard time caring about people I don't have to interact with on a daily basis, problably like most of the students in this school who don't realize that students, sometimes their classmates, don't eat on a regular basis. As the world is right now, nothing can be done for the millions of starving individuals in the world, so I don't worry about something I can't change. My influence is limited and even if I attempt to help those dieing from starvation I can't help everybody. But I don't mean to say that nothing can ever be done. I just done believe a group of unknown highschooler can solve anything. Even if we feed a thousand people the problem will still exist. The root of the problem is the lack of resources which in this lifetime cannot be solved, so I didn't get worked up over information I already knew, and I don't think anything can change my mind.

3 comments:

CHUNGUS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CHUNGUS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CHUNGUS said...

i was just wondering : even though their is no physical connection shared between you and the impoverish can you not develop any empathy or emotional connection for them? Just because you are physically incapable of connecting with these people should you really ignore the fact that you should contribute in alleviating some aspect of their suffering. Even though your contribution might be small and minuscule,helping just one person is better than helping none at all. I find it is a duty as a human being to not only recognize the suffering of your fellow man but find a way to alleviate some aspect of his/her suffering, rather than being ignorant and just walking away from the situation on the basis that you can't "physically connect" with them. Just because the problem with poverty will exist overall it does not mean it will exist with that one person that you helped.